For a self-paced, guided learning experience
Duration: 2 hours
Hazardous chemicals are used in a variety of activities at chemical factories and other workplaces involved in chemical operations and research.
Professionals working with chemicals should thoroughly understand the theoretical and practical aspects of chemical hazards to prevent catastrophes and damage to their health.
For instance, did you know that exposure to hazardous chemicals for a long time can damage the lungs or even cause cancers? Other health hazards of chemicals include burning, inflammation or even permanent damage to eyesight. Hence, to maintain a safe working environment, it is important that personnel working with chemicals are aware of safety practices such as the proper use of equipment, transportation, handling and storage of chemicals.
Organizations should train their employees regarding the short term and long-term effects of working with chemicals, as well as safety practices related to the use of chemicals. In addition, employees should also be trained about first aid and emergency management in case of chemical accidents and the role of protective equipment in minimizing such accidents.
This course is meant to train individuals about the types and nature of chemicals such as the physical states, classification, characteristics and its hazardous properties. Further, this course will also explain the safety practices related to the use of hazardous chemicals.
While working with chemicals, you will need to be aware of the potential risks associated with the use of chemicals. Here, in this course, we will discuss the potential hazards of chemicals as well as the safety measures that you can adopt at the workplace as outlined below:
- Nature of Chemicals
- Exposure to Chemicals
- Management of Chemicals
- Chemical Spills
- Hazard Communication
By the end of this module, you will be able to:
- Describe the properties of hazardous chemicals
- Describe chemical exposure with examples of various exposure limits
- Explain the techniques for handling and storing chemicals
- Explain chemical spills and the strategies to address them
- Describe the elements of hazard communication
This course is meant to benefit:
- Industrial workers including employees, contractors and management personnel prone to hazards in the form of accidents and health issues
- Employees and management personnel interested in learning more about workplace safety
- Social workers and common public interested in learning more about safety and health standards